Celebrating 25 Years of Service to the Dive Community
See Island Dreams' Scuba Travel: Value Menu
Check out our Conducted Group Tours: Group Dive Trips
Lembeh Resort's First Annual: Underwater Digital Imaging Workshop
Why a Photo Competition? - Sad to say, some companies sponsor photo contests so they can get lots of free pictures to use in their advertising. No worries on that count, at Island Dreams we create our own images. The reason for this contest is that our clients often send us photos from their Island Dreams' travels, and as part of our 25th anniversary celebrations we thought it would be fun to create a way for you to see them, and to give some recognition for the best work. Contest entries will be displayed on Island Dreams' web site and on our Facebook page, and the winning images may also be highlighted on the pages of our contest prize donors, but not used for any other purpose. We hope you will join in the fun, both by submitting your own best shots, and enjoying the work of your fellow divers.
What kind of photos will win? - Many aspects come into play in the creation of a superior photograph. Crisp focus on the primary subject is critical. Interesting, colorful, eye-catching subjects will rise to the top. Attention comes to a photo that tells a story, and/or demonstates some sort of natural interaction. Pleasing backgrounds and creative control of composition and negative space can help to make a good shot into a great one. Above all, we hope the winning images will demonstrate understanding, appreciation, and respect for the beauty and diversity of the marine world.
What are the prizes? - In developing this competition we called upon three of our best travel suppliers for assistance, and they were quick to reply. Thus we have three grand prizes for the three contest topics. Each is a seven night stay, with lodging, diving and meals for one lucky (and talented) photographer. Airfare to the destination is not included, but Island Dreams can help you to arrange it.
|Island Dreams' 25th Anniversary Photo Contest|
|Best Caribbean Underwater Photo||Seven nights at Scuba Club Cozumel|
|Best Pacific Underwater Photo||Seven nights at El Galleon Resort, Philippines|
|Best Topside Island Dream||Seven nights at Matava Resort, Fiji|
|Deadline for entry is Dec. 5, 2012. Maximum of three entries per category. Amateurs only.
Please see complete contest rules and details below.
How do I Enter? - The contest is open to all amateur photographers. No professionals please. There is no cost to enter. Deadline for entry is December 6, 2012. To enter simply email your images as JPEG file attachments, up to a maximum of three submissions per category. Maximum file size of 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high. Maximum file size of 1 MB per image. Be sure to indicate where the photo was taken and include your full contact information. We ask that you make your own name, category and image number as part of the file name, such as Joe_Smith_Caribbean_01.jpg or Sally_Jones_Pacific_02.jpg.
Send your entries to: firstname.lastname@example.org, but first please carefully read the Contest Rules and Guidelines.
Contest Rules and Guidelines:
1. Any amateur photographer is eligible to enter Island Dreams' 25th Anniversary Photo Competition. Professional photographers are specifically excluded from participation.
2. There is no entry fee. Each eligible photographer may enter up to three images per category.
3. There are three categories, as follows:
a) Caribbean Underwater - Image must be taken in Mexico or the Caribbean, underwater. Image may be macro, portrait, or wide angle.
b) Pacific Underwater - Image must be taken in the Pacific or Indian Ocean, underwater. Image may be macro, portrait, or wide angle.
c) Topside Island Dream - Image may be taken anywhere in the world, but should strive to epitomize the concept of an "island dream."
4. No aquarium shots, no photos of books or other reproductions.
5. Images that have already placed or won in other photo contests are excluded from entry in this competition.
6. Contest entries must have been taken by the person entering the image. The entry of another photographer's work is expressly prohibited.
7. Marine life and/or the marine environment should never be stressed or endangered in the making of a photograph. Any signs of such behavior will result in disqualification of the image. The decision of the judges will be final on this matter.
8. Extensive manipulation of the image is prohibited. Cropping, color correction, sharpening and removal of back scatter are acceptable.
9. All aspects of the photo must be included in the original shot. The combining of images from multiple shots is specifically not acceptable.
10. Photos must be submitted electronically, as JPEG files. Image size should be a maximum of 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high. Maximum file size is 1 MB per image.
11. File names should include the photographer, category, and number of the image (maximum three per category). Example file name: joe_smith_pacific_01.jpg
12. Entries are to be submitted via email, as file attachments. Send to: email@example.com
13. Deadline for entry is December 6, 2012. Winners will be announced by December 12, 2012.
14. A first place will be selected for each of the three categories. Decisions of the judges are final.
15. All copyrights remain with the photographer. Any image entered may be displayed, as part of the Photo Contest content, on the Island Dreams web site and Facebook pages. Winners and their images will be announced and included in press releases distributed throughout the dive community. Winning images will be featured and displayed on the Island Dreams web site and Facebook pages, and on the pages of the prize donors. No other advertising use is authorized or expected.
16. Prizes may be used only by the winning photographers. Prizes are not transferrable, have no equivalent cash value, and must be used within the timeline and per any stipulations stated by the prize donors.
17. Failure to abide by the rules and spirit of this contest will result in disqualification and forfeiture of any prize.
It is our pleasure to serve you!