Swim with the Whale Sharks
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
July 22-26, 2015 from $ 735 per person
Package includes four nights lodging at beachfront Na Balam Resort,
hotel tax, daily breakfast, and two days of whale shark interactions hosted by Solo Buceo
Enjoy whale sharks, manta rays, and the charm of Isla Mujeres, Mexico
July 22-26, 2015 from $ 735 per person
WHALE SHARKS and MANTA RAYS -- Though they are the largest species of shark, whale sharks are plankton feeders and harmless to humans. They follow their food source up the coast of Central America, around the Yucatan Peninsula and into the Gulf of Mexico. From mid-May through early September, they have been congregating in large numbers near Isla Mujeres. For the 2013 season, it was estimated that more than 300 whale sharks gathered for this feeding extravaganza. Adding to the excitement, in recent years the whale sharks have been joined in Mexico by scores of large manta rays, also plankton feeders. By Government regulation designed to protect the animals, no scuba diving is permitted, so all interactions are simply accomplished on snorkel. The result is a glorious and easily accessible opportunity for all lovers of marine wildlife and underwater photographers.
NA BALAM HOTEL, Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres -- Quite different from the gigantic hotels and resorts in Cancun, Na Balam is a boutique hotel set on a wide private beachfront location on the northern tip of Isla Mujeres. The resort features just 35 spacious rooms and suites in a very clean and minimalistic decor. There is a beachfront restaurant with excellent Mexican specialties, seafood and delicious 'botanas' snacks; a small and relaxing swimming pool with heated jacuzzi; and an on-site Yoga Studio & School. The resort also features an on-site full-service marina for scuba and snorkel lovers, and a convenient pier from which our snorkel trips will depart each morning.
SOLO BUCEO -- Island Dreams has arranged professional snorkel boat services with Solo Buceo. Based at Dreams Hotel, Punta Cancun, Solo Buceo has more than 25 years of experience serving snorkelers and scuba divers. To provide the best in-water opportunities, and better control, we are chartering two entire boats each day. Our custom trips will depart each morning from the pier at NaBalam Hotel, and be back by about 1 pm. We will specify early departures, so as to arrive at the whale shark feeding grounds in advance of the majority of the day boats.
TOUR LEADER Ken Knezick -- Owner of Island Dreams Travel, Ken has been conducting scuba diving tours around the world for more than 35 years. He will help you to come properly prepared for the sea conditions so as to safely enjoy your whale shark interactions. A highly experienced underwater photographer, Ken can also help you to get the best possible pictures of these wonderful animals. Both beginner and experienced snorkelers are welcomed to enjoy this unique experience.MORE INFO -- Ken visited Isla Mujeres in July 2013, and again in July 2014 with an Island Dreams group. He has posted an extensive destination report and photo gallery. Find further details, travel tips and photos here: Quintana Roo Whale Shark Report
NaBalam Hotel, Isla Mujeres *** July 22-26, 2015
|Deluxe Ocean View Room
Two (2) rooms remain available in this category
|with two whale shark snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 735|
|with NO snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 405|
|Single occupancy||$ 765|
One (1) room remains available in this category
|with two whale shark snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 850|
|with NO snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 525|
|Ocean View Suite w/plunge pool
Sorry, this room category is SOLD OUT
|with two whale shark snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 895|
|with NO snorkel trips||Double occupancy||$ 565|
Prices are per person, based on occupancy indicated.
Prices, schedules and itinerary inclusions are subject to change.
Airfare to Cancun and transfers to Na Balam are not included in this pricing. Call Island Dreams for fares.
The cost of any other pre or post-trip lodging is not included in the package and is at guest's additional expense.
Deluxe Ocean View - Space meets view; these oversized rooms (592 sq. ft. / 55m2) offer spectacular views of the Caribbean and the white powder sand of North Beach. King size or two Queens bedding is available, private terrace or balcony and all rooms have air conditioning, ceiling fans and organic amenities and toiletries.
Junior Suite - Spacious suites (592 sq. ft. / 55m2), amidst palm tree gardens, facing the ocean. Contemporary décor, seating area with 42" flat screen TV, King size bed, air conditioning, ceiling fan, oversized bath and luxury amenities round up the comfort of this suite.
Ocean View Suite with Plunge Pool - Privacy and detail, these 592 sq. ft. / 55 m2 suites are just steps away from the powder white sands of North Beach. Take a dip into your own private plunge pool, as you sip a fresh tropical cocktail. King size bedding, private terrace with fresh water plunge pool overlooking the ocean, air conditioning, ceiling fans, oversized bathroom and upscale amenities make this suite ideal for a romantic escape.
Included in the Package:
- Four nights lodging at NaBalam Hotel, Isla Mujeres, 19% hotel tax included
- Daily Continental breakfast at Zazil Ha Restaurant, on site
- Two full-morning trips to snorkel with the whale sharks and manta rays
- Beverages and lunch are included onboard the snorkel boat
- (Option to add a third snorkel trip at a cost of $175 per person)
- The services of Island Dreams' divemaster and tour guide Ken Knezick
- Airfare to Cancun Airport
- Taxi to the ferry pier (Gran Puerto or Puerto Juarez)
- Ferry to Isla Mujeres (All transfers are easily accomplished, detailed instructions will be provided)
- Lunches and dinners (easily available at many fine and fun restaurants, walking distance from our hotel)
- Any other items of a personal nature
- Wednesday, July 22, 2015 -- Fly to Cancun, taxi to Gran Puerto, ferry to Isla Mujeres. Then short taxi ride to NaBalam Hotel. Check-in at hotel anytime after 3 pm. Airfare and transfers at the guests' expense. Island Dreams has all the details and will be happy to assist with airline tickets and transfer arrangements as needed.
- July 23 -- Breakfast, full-morning whale shark snorkel trip. Afternoon/evening at your leisure.
- July 24 -- Breakfast, full-morning whale shark snorkel boat trip. Afternoon/evening at your leisure.
- July 25 -- Breakfast. Day at leisure, or optional third whale shark trip (add $175).
- Sunday, July 26 -- Breakfast. Hotel check-out no later than noon. Return to airport, or elect to extend your stay.
- July 26-29 -- Optional tours to Cozumel or Playa del Carmen. Scuba diving, cenotes, mayan ruins, etc. Contact Island Dreams for details.
Plan Ahead for Success -- This trip will sell out. If you are interested, please do not delay. For best value, you are advised to purchase your airline ticket to Cancun well in advance. Contact Island Dreams for complete details and guaranteed reservations for this group tour, as well as private dive travel adventures. Phone toll free at 1-800-346-6116, or simply drop trip leader Ken Knezick a note at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Island Dreams for current availability, discount airfares, and complete details.